Growing up was difficult for Tobias. As the years passed, we found ways to adapt. In a strange way, all of those challenges gave me the courage to grow too. I continued learning about dogs, canine nutrition, behavior, and eventually started looking more seriously into the things that were happening with my own dogs.
Every day with Tobias has been a blessing. Somewhere along the way, the awkward puppy became this wonderful, gentle guy who is just genuinely amazing to be around.
And finally, we hit the adult years.
No more puppy.
No more lanky legs and awkward proportions.
No more wondering what kind of dog he was going to grow into.
This was what we had been waiting for: a perfectly lovable, enormous dog who had finally settled into himself.
He became the dog who would climb into bed when one of us was away. The dog who would quietly sit beside you when you needed someone to listen. The pick-me-up bestie who somehow knew when you needed him without being asked.
After everything Tobias had been through, I really thought we had made it.
Surely this was the easy part.
I'm sure at this point we're all thinking the same thing:
How much bad luck can poor Tobias have?
How many more obstacles can one dog overcome?
Unfortunately, this story continues.
When Allergies Entered the Picture
As Tobias moved further out of his youth and into adulthood, we started noticing signs that something wasn't quite right with his skin and ears.
And this is where my own education became especially important.
When I first started studying canine nutrition, allergies were one of the subjects that really caught my attention. That interest actually started because of my aunt's dog, Manney, who suffered from severe allergies.
I became fascinated with the idea that food could play a role in what we were seeing. I remember looking at different proteins, studying ingredient lists, and even looking at genetics and protein relationships while trying to figure out what might work for him.
Eventually, Manney ended up doing well on a kangaroo-based diet.
That experience stayed with me.
So when Tobias began showing signs of allergies, I didn't feel completely unprepared.
I thought I knew what I was looking for.
And, as I would eventually learn, knowing something isn't the same as knowing everything.
A Quick Lesson About Food Allergies
One thing I learned during my nutrition education was that we often talk about animal proteins in broad categories.
Take poultry, for example.
Chicken, turkey, and duck are all birds, but that doesn't automatically mean a dog will react to every single one of them. A food reaction can be specific to an individual ingredient or protein.
This is one reason elimination diets can become complicated. If food allergy is genuinely suspected, veterinary guidelines recommend a properly controlled diet trial followed by a food challenge rather than simply looking at an ingredient list and guessing. Current AAHA guidelines recommend diet trials lasting approximately 4–12 weeks, with a challenge afterward to help confirm whether food was actually responsible.
At the time, though, I was still learning.
And Tobias was about to become one of my biggest teachers.
The Ears
Tobias had always been difficult when it came to basic grooming.
Nail trims?
A battle.
Ear cleaning?
Even worse.
So when I started noticing changes in his ears, it was easy to convince myself that some of what I was seeing was simply Tobias being Tobias.
But there was something different this time.
There was debris in his ears, and it had that dark, waxy appearance that immediately made me think yeast.
And yeast really can be part of the picture.
Dogs normally have small numbers of organisms such as Malassezia living on their skin and in their ears. Under the right conditions, however, those organisms can multiply and contribute to otitis externa—an inflammation of the external ear canal. Allergies are one of the recognized underlying causes that can create an environment where secondary yeast infections develop.
The important words here are chronic and secondary.
The yeast isn't necessarily the original problem.
Dark, waxy debris can be associated with a more established or chronic ear infection, meaning this isn't necessarily something that appeared overnight. Chronic or recurrent ear disease is also a clue that there may be an underlying problem that keeps allowing the infection to come back. Allergies are one of the important possibilities because allergic inflammation can disrupt the normal ear environment and predispose a dog to secondary yeast or bacterial infections.
That distinction would become incredibly important in Tobias's story.
At the time, however, I was looking at the dark debris and thinking I already knew the answer.
Today, I know better.
Dark or waxy ear debris can occur with yeast, but appearance alone cannot tell us whether the underlying problem is food allergy, environmental allergy, parasites, bacterial infection, or another cause. Veterinary diagnosis relies on the history, examination, otoscopic evaluation, and cytology to actually identify what is happening inside the ear. What mattered in Tobias's case was the pattern: the ear problem was persistent, and we were now looking at what had changed in his life and diet that could be contributing to it.
And that's one of the lessons Tobias would eventually teach me:
Sometimes the thing you can see isn't the thing causing the problem.
Then Came the Food
Up until this point, Tobias rarely ate foods containing wheat.
He loved his lamb and rice food. And honestly, lamb remains one of his favorite proteins to this day.
But I was working in a pet store.
And sometimes working in the pet industry means being surrounded by new products, new formulas, new marketing, and new ideas about what our dogs should be eating.
Then we were getting ready to launch a brand-new food.
I was excited.
Really excited.
This wasn't some random food I had picked up because the bag looked pretty.
I had been given roughly two months' worth of the product before it even hit the shelves, and I was going to be helping lead the launch.
On paper, it looked like everything I wanted.
Fewer ingredients.
More protein.
Vegetable sources for vitamins and nutrients.
A short ingredient panel that I probably could have recited from memory.
It was basically the kind of kibble I had been looking for.
And there was an added bonus:
Both Nibbler and Tobias loved it.
The lower-cost formula made it even more appealing. Add in my staff discount and I was feeding both dogs for next to nothing.
I started thinking this could be their forever food.
And then we changed Tobias's diet.
The Timing Wasn't Lost on Me
This food was grain-inclusive.
It arrived during a period when the pet food world was having a very loud conversation about grain-free diets. The conversation around grains was becoming increasingly complicated, with discussions about ingredient quality, formulation, nutrition, and the emerging concerns surrounding certain grain-free diets.
But Tobias wasn't eating grain-free anymore.
And gradually, the problems with his ears became harder to ignore.
There was another piece of information I couldn't ignore either: the ingredients he was now eating.
Veterinary references commonly identify beef, dairy, chicken, and wheat among the more common food allergens reported in dogs. The exact ranking varies between studies, but these ingredients are all widely represented in commercial diets.
That doesn't mean grains are inherently bad, or that wheat is automatically a problem for every dog. It means that when you're looking at a dog with suspected food-related disease, the ingredients actually being fed matter. And for Tobias, this wasn't a theoretical discussion anymore. We had made a dietary change, and wheat had become a new part of his diet.
For him, that made wheat one of the suspects worth watching.
I want to pause here because this is where my story gets complicated.
I don't want to look back and pretend that I immediately understood what was happening.
I didn't.
I saw the signs.
But I didn't want to believe them.
The Problem With Being Too Close
Dogs are incredibly good at carrying on when something isn't right.
And sometimes the signs we dismiss as cute can actually be clues.
That head leaning into your hand?
Maybe he just wants scratches.
That repeated ear rubbing?
Maybe it's nothing.
That shake of the head?
Maybe he just got water in his ear.
But allergic dogs can develop secondary yeast and bacterial infections, and ear disease can actually be one of the first or only obvious signs of allergic skin disease. The AAHA guidelines note that otitis externa is common in allergic dogs and that some dogs may not show obvious signs until the ear disease is already moderately severe.
That hit me hard when I learned it.
Because Tobias had been giving me clues.
I just wasn't ready to listen.
I wanted to believe that everything was finally okay.
After everything this dog had been through, I wanted adulthood to be his happy ending.
Tobias was perfect.
He was my baby.
And my baby didn't have allergies.
Why?
Because I said so.
Looking back, that was ignorance.
It was also stubbornness.
And, if I'm being completely honest, it was probably a little bit of denial.
Eventually, though, the evidence became impossible to ignore.
I had to stop looking at Tobias as the dog I wanted him to be and start looking at the dog standing in front of me.
Something was wrong.
The Turning Point
Just as I was finally beginning to accept that Tobias might actually be dealing with allergies, something almost perfectly timed happened at the store.
The grain-free version of the food launched.
It was going to sit alongside the grain-inclusive formula, giving customers another option.
For Tobias, it became an experiment of its own.
We made the switch.
And slowly, things began moving in the right direction.
His ears improved.
The problems became less persistent.
And suddenly, the connection I had been reluctant to acknowledge was sitting right in front of me.
But there was an important lesson hiding underneath that success.
It wasn't simply:
"Grains are bad."
And it wasn't proof that every dog needs a grain-free diet.
The science doesn't support making that kind of blanket conclusion. Food allergies are individual, and dogs can react to many different ingredients. Diagnosis requires a properly controlled elimination diet and, ideally, a subsequent food challenge to establish whether the suspected food really is responsible.
What Tobias taught me was much more personal.
I had to learn to stop assuming I knew the answer.
I had to learn to watch.
To document.
To question.
To investigate.
And most importantly, I had to learn that sometimes loving your dog means admitting that the answer you desperately want isn't the answer you're actually seeing.
Tobias wasn't broken.
He wasn't having bad luck because he was destined to suffer.
He was a dog trying to communicate with me in the only ways he knew how.
And I was finally learning how to listen.
Comments
Post a Comment